New York City?!


I had a brief flashback to this old commercial when I saw this from the NYT today for a slow-cooker chili recipe. Now you can make chili in a slow cooker, if you must, and with proper care (scroll to 'braise' and then ff.) it will only be a little less good than something made in a cast iron Dutch oven. However, the old commercial continued to rear its head as I read on:
A great chili should be richly spiced, with layers of deep, savory flavor. Here, that big flavor comes from the usual contenders, but also from the unexpected additions of unsweetened cocoa, soy sauce and Worcestershire....
I can see the cocoa, which might do something like it does in some Mexican moles; but I'm not sure I need English Sauce in my chili, nor soy sauce either.

Maybe for April Fool's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment