The End of July

All is green and mighty atop the world in high summer. 

Overlooking Courthouse Valley.

Blackberries are ripe up here. I leave most of them for the black bears, but I took one for myself.

The Standing Rock.

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous scenery. Your so kind to think of the bears. I would be thinking blackberry cobbler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:51 PM

    I once scandalized several people by eating the blackberries growing behind a museum. Apparently one was not supposed to snack on the landscaping, even though no signs had been posted.

    Ditto the mulberries in a city park. One jogger gasped and said, "Those haven't been sprayed!" My reply of, "Yes, sir, I know, that's why I'm eating them," was not what he expected.

    LittleRed1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:52 PM

    I almost envy you, living in a green and lumpy part of the world. :)

    LittleRed1

    ReplyDelete
  4. raven9:53 PM

    "green and lumpy" reminds me of my wife's comment, first trip through West Virginia- "like Idaho, but more crumpled up"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to ask: when I was younger, three-wheeled motorcycles were only seen around here during Laconia Bike Week, and those were usually gussied up and spangly. In the last few years I have been seeing more of them. What's up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bikers are aging. So an inherently stable trike has appeal to those who cannot keep a two wheeled vehicle upright anymore.

      Delete
    2. It also used to mostly be a custom build. Harley started offering trikes as a standard to meet the demand Raven is talking about. That's been more than fifteen years ago, but as the age keeps creeping up more and more guys find themselves in that market.

      I had a friend who rented one just to see what it was like. But you probably can figure it out: it's like riding a tricycle instead of a bicycle. You can't steer by leaning much, you have to work the handlebars. That limits how fast you can take the corners, etc.

      Delete
  6. raven2:47 PM

    Yes, typical trikes turn like a car, no lean. Although there are a few exceptions -the ones I am aware of have two wheels in front, one in back. Not to be confused with the Polaris slingshot, which also has two wheels in front, one in back, and turns like a conventional car.
    There have been some very interesting developments in three wheeled vehicles, because they escape the FED RULES on cars. Anything with four wheels gets jammed into the funnel of conformity.
    One of the great thrills of motorcycling, and something people who do not ride never notice, is that when turning the bike, the G forces are at the angle of lean, top of helmet to tire contact- there is no feeling of being pushed to one side, as in a car. This is the same feeling as a coordinated turn in a aircraft.

    ReplyDelete