The man could turn a phrase

I don't when I've ever read such a brief, deadly letter, especially the devastating use of the "Yours" convention in the closing:

Philadelphia, July 5, 1775.
Mr. Strahan:--You are a member of parliament, and one of that majority which has doomed my country to destruction. You have begun to burn our towns, and murder our people. Look upon your hands! They are stained with the blood of your relations. You and I were long friends:--you are now my enemy, and I am
Yours, B. Franklin.

2 comments:

douglas said...

Revolution/Civil war is a costly business.
That's a mighty sharp pen Mr. Franklin wields.

raven said...

He knew where he stood. No "nuance" or "proportional response".
I do like clarity. So much of modern talk is PC bullshit, obfuscation, euphemisms, etc.