"The Beast" at the Daytona 500

I haven't watched a NASCAR race since Dad died, but when I was young it was on most every weekend. I was watching when Dale Earnhardt slammed the black #3 car into the wall at Daytona and died as he'd lived. I was watching when Mike Rich was crushed between Bill Elliot's car and another that lost control in the pits. Those moments stand out because of the fatalities; I've seen more car crashes than I could count, but none of them stand out as much as those two.

Today, Donald Trump decided to take the Presidential limo out for a ride.



I have a feeling Dad would have had mixed feelings about Trump, but not entirely negative ones. He would have liked this, I think.

UPDATE: I'm pretty sure Dad would have loved the speech. Dad was a God and Country man. And apparently our friend Dave Bellavia was there.



UPDATE: On the subject of stock car racing, congratulations to the boys at Black Rifle Coffee for having the car they co-sponsor with Bass Pro Shops come in first in yesterday's race.

3 comments:

Texan99 said...

I love it: The AP sneers at "cheap domestic beers" served at the race.

Grim said...

At a speedway? I'll bet they weren't all that cheap.

Texan99 said...

The AP suspects they weren't up to its own lofty standards, acceptable to elite journalists.