Sure, If You Work in Sherwood Forest

Question:  Why not wear leggings (meaning yoga pants, I suppose) to work?
I don’t remember what specific combo of frustration and busyness led me to wear leggings to the office one day recently, but I do remember it felt magical. With nothing but a stretchy band and Nulu(™) fabric holding me in, I felt freer, like I was dancing through my duties, rather than trudging through them encased in polyester and wool. My computer seemed to run more quickly; my sources were more responsive; the PR people were less angry....

Most everyone at my office is nicely dressed, from the occasional TV-ready suit-wearer to our fashion-conscious female editors. Occasionally, some mayor or other VIP stops by. Leggings are not part of this world. In fact, when I told my colleagues I was working on this article, several of them came to my desk, in their traditional slacks, and registered their complaints. “Tights are not pants,” people told me....

The other place where leggings are deemed unacceptable today: church.
Why not? It's appropriately gender-neutral, right?

4 comments:

Texan99 said...

The women in my church--which is coastal and casual, though Episcopalian--wear leggings, the ones who are reasonably slender and fit. Admittedly that's always with a loose top at least to mid-thigh and often a generous toga-length. Men tend to avoid shorts, but you'll see any kind of fisherman-casual on them. Suits are rare.

I've been wondering who comes armed. I know people in town who are definitely armed in church, but no one for sure in my own church. This being the Western Diocese of Texas, it's not out of the question, but also not a topic for general discussion. We tread lightly on the more divisive issues.

Texan99 said...

But no men in "TIGHT tights."

You know, I'm not sure I've ever watched that movie, but clearly I should. It couldn't be made now, and certainly not without a "serious and national conversation" that I'd so much rather not have.

MikeD said...

Mel Brookes never shied from controversy. The movie itself wasn't particularly good, but did have some timely digs at the Kevin Costner attempt at the legend.

Grim said...

Yeah, it’s definitely not his greatest work. :)