Welcome to Februrary



I've been enjoying old Waylon tunes for a little while now. He was inventive. I haven't ever been to Spain either, although I'd like to go; a Spanish girl once bought me a bottle of Spanish wine, to share a little of what her country was like, and I've never forgotten that.

Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings rented a place together, once. You can hear about it here, when he was young and clean-shaven.



Here he is a little bit later, in the late 1970s I'd guess. It was a different world.



Shel Silverstein gets mentioned here. He was a bigger force in Outlaw Country than you'd think, if you know him from books like "Where the Sidewalk Ends"; he wrote the lyrics to "A Boy Named Sue," and some other hits. He was one of my mother's favorite poets, he was. She used to read me his stuff when I was a boy. Not that one, though. That one had to wait until I became a man.

6 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Silverstein also wrote nearly everything for Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show - which was sort of Outlaw Rock, when you think of it.

J Melcher said...

Did anybody ever put a tune to this lyric?

https://allpoetry.com/Rosalie's-Good-Eats-Cafe

raven said...

A guy's look and sound may change, but a tooled leather Telecaster goes on forever.

Tom said...

I don't think I'd ever seen Waylon clean shaven before.

Thanks for the video.

douglas said...

Waylon is like the musical equivalent of comfort food. Solid, real, not too flashy, not trying to be spectacular- just plain good.

I love this video of a bit of banter with Waylon (really enjoy the exchange between he and Glen Campbell), and then he sings "Bob Wills is still the King", which probably doesn't mean what you think it means- but you'll see in the video.

raven said...

Waylon was slated to be on the plane with Buddy Holly, but gave up his seat so the Big Bopper could get some medical care sooner-he was down with the flu.

And Tommy Allsup flipped a coin with Richie Valens and lost his seat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r4_8pjJPxo