Regional Pride, and Rest in Peace

AVI mentioned in passing over at his place a certain tolerance for 'moderate' regional pride. I'm not sure I've adhered to the moderation standard, which I hadn't understood was expected; but in fairness, Southerners are rarely moderate in this regard.

By sad coincidence, Roy Clark passed away just a couple of weeks ago. I don't think I mentioned it at the time. He was a man whom our region could be proud to have born. His contributions to the world included music and humor, and he was great at both. Here he is with Buck Owens and another of my favorite fellows, the late, great Jerry Reed.



And here he is with Buck Trent, doing a playful variation on a playful standard.



Although he was most famous for these Southern types, he was a thoroughly trained musician who could play anything on one of several instruments.



It was nice to share the stage with these men for a while. I hope they will be long remembered.

UPDATE:

Let's do a couple more. One older:



And one with Johnny Cash. Both of these are funny because it's impossible to believe Roy Clark ever shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die. Johnny Cash could sell the line, but Roy Clark just wants to play tricks on the guitar.



Johnny doesn't care. He's having fun too.

2 comments:

DLSly said...

I hadn't heard about this.
Damn.
My uncle played with Roy Clark on several of his albums as well as toured with him in the 60's.
RIP Mr. Clark

Grim said...

He was one of the greats.