Market-based medicine

Oklahoma public employees have saved a boatload of money by using a surgery center devoted to price transparency and consumer choice:
Unlike most other medical providers, the Surgery Center of Oklahoma actually posts transparent pricing and offers deeply-discounted, payable-in-advance, cash-only medical procedures. The center does accept private insurance, but it does not accept Medicaid or Medicare — government regulations won’t allow them to post transparent prices online.

6 comments:

Cass said...

I had my ACL reconstruction done in a surgical center (as opposed to a hospital). It's much more pleasant, faster, and most importantly cheaper than going into the hospital.

Rave reviews from my end :)

E Hines said...

They've been doing this sort of thing for a few years, too. It's no flash in the pan.

Eric Hines

MikeD said...

Yeah... the Administration isn't going to stand for that. Expect to see some form of "regulation" come down to kill this sort of thing. Can't have the proles find out that the free market could lower their healthcare costs.

Grim said...

Good timing. I got my annual "your premium is skyrocketing" notice from my insurance company today. I have one of those grandfathered plans, so the only option if I decide not to pay it is to go bare because I am never dealing with Obamacare. I'm thinking this through, but the wife is strongly pushing for bareness.

Anonymous said...

I had a major-minor test last month (results normal). According to various sources on the 'Net, the price for the test varies from $400 - $6000 around the country. Yes, the same test, with the same equipment, read by people with the same skill level. I paid $200 cash. The highest cost was for in-hospital tests in the NYC area.

LittleRed1

Ymar Sakar said...

How dare they avoid the federal mafia's protection fees. Posting prices up is a no go. That's like posting up entrance test scores.