Death to Public Broadcasting

The best radio station in Atlanta just got gutted in a backroom deal.
The format has changed over the years but has been primarily rock focused. It started with progressive rock, then went punk and new wave in the early 1980s when it received its Album 88 moniker, said Gail Harris, who worked there from 1976 to 1993 and holds regular alumni reunions... “I am unhappy with the lack of transparency,” Harris said, noting that there was no community debate prior to the surprise announcement.

...

Ana Zimitravich, the outgoing WRAS general manager and senior at GSU, said she found out along with the rest of the student staff today. “It’s a total, complete shock,” she said. “I had no idea this change was coming.”
So the strongest student-run radio station in the United States will now spend most of the day playing the same canned Public Broadcasting garbage that caters to aging liberals nationwide.

Coincidentally, this is the song the student DJ was playing on Album 88 as I was writing up this post:



UPDATE: "Please direct all comments/complaints regarding the GPB usurpation of WRAS to the following..."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with the commenter who wanted to know why not WRFG. Back when I was in the Atlanta area, WRFG was close to NPR in philosophy and in some content. OK, not in the afternoons when they became Radio Free Gael and (for at least a $100 pledge) would play "The Scotsman," but most of the time.

LittleRed1

Gringo said...

This is not the only example of a university radio station changing from locally generated programs to the canned NPR format. Which helps explain why I no longer listen to radio.

Gringo said...

A further point is that the locally generated programs are usually less expensive than the canned NPR stuff. Expect more intensive efforts at fundraising to compensate for the higher cost.

douglas said...

The left must control all media outlets. Nothing will stand in their way.

E Hines said...

Nothing is keeping the students from walking away from the erstwhile WRAS and refusing to work there at all. Or listen to it.

Eric Hines

Texan99 said...

It's always disappointing when good free stuff goes away. I can't feel aggrieved about it--the people who owned that transmitter weren't put here on Earth to make sure I could tune into free radio music that suits me--but I can still regret the loss. Not that I ever listen to radio any more. I bring my own music or lectures.

Grim said...

Well, it wasn't entirely free from my perspective. I'm a GSU alumnus, so they've seen a fair amount of my money (and are always asking for more -- a point I made to them in the irritated letter I sent).