Follow-up Advice

Back in January I asked for some advice on all kinds of stuff -- camping, horsemanship, hunting, martial arts, etc. And I got some really good feedback from the Hall. This is a follow-up post with some results & more requests for advice.

I ended up buying a surplus 'Military Sleep System' and am looking forward to trying it out on a trip in a couple of weeks.

I asked for suggestions on boots for hiking & hunting. Some of my reading since then suggests that, especially when you're packing light, running or trail-running shoes are a good choice. I also remember Grim talking about his sister, I believe, running barefoot. I'm looking at hiking in low hills carrying less than 30 lbs, only in decent weather -- no extreme cold or heat, no snow hiking, no real mountains, no monsoon trekking. Anyone have experience with or thoughts on this?

Along with that, I've been reading about feet a lot lately, and am thinking about getting some Vibram FiveFingers. Any thoughts on the whole FiveFingers / barefoot running movement? Would any of you hike in these things? UPDATE: These boots also look interesting.

Once I get out and start using gear, I'll post reports and pics.

Thanks in advance!

9 comments:

raven said...

Lightweight boots are great, as long as everything goes along according to plan. Like the bikers say, "dress for the slide, not the ride." Twisting an ankle miles back in the boonies because of unsupportive boots would be a real pain.
Those "five toe" shoes look great for running down to starbucks for a latte- and they look like a stubbed ,wrenched or broken toe waiting to happen in the woods. Feet are the most important asset one has in the woods, and IMO, unless you have gone all your life without shoes, minimalist footwear is asking for injury. Take a damaged Plantar Fascia for example- that can hobble a guy for a year or more till it heals...
Bear in mind everything I say comes from a manual labors background and not an athletes viewpoint.

Grim said...

I have a friend who used those five-toe things for a while, on hiking trips with me. They didn't last. Maybe they'd prove more durable if you weren't carrying a pack, but maybe it's just a bad concept.

In any case, I like ankle support. And if you run in them, it builds great muscle tone in the legs. So, 8-inch combat boots is my recommendation.

Eric Blair said...

I had a coworker who was a practically a professional runner and he liked those 5 toe things. But he said there were differences between manufacturers. YMMV.

DL Sly said...

MH has the Vibrams. He got them for his pt while still in the Marines. He. LOVED. Them.
I found that FILA makes a similar one called Skele-Toes that is really only a four-toed shoe in that the fourth and fifth toes are in one slot. Now, the thing I like about the FILA's is that they come in several different sole thicknesses. I have regular flats, and then I have a pair that have a very deep sole that I wear around Montana without any problems. Very supportive because they mimic the natural footbed and arch, but their sole is such that I can walk over any rocky surface and never feel a thing.
ALSO, they are butt-loads cheaper than Vibrams - as in over 50% cheaper.
My .03!
0>;~}

douglas said...

I picked up a pair of the Fila's (and I like the combined 4th and 5th toe pocket), and if you look around in clearance stores (Ross and the like) they are way, way cheaper-so I concur with Sly. It's a version with a light running sole on it, so low-rise but not no-rise or negative-rise as the barefooters claim is important (rise being the difference between the heel and forefoot height). One thing I can tell you is that if the between the toes material is lycra, it's crap at keeping debris out of the shoe- the fibers stretch and allow things to get pushed in through the fabric. On terrain with rocks smaller than your foot, the free toes isn't an advantage. I hate wearing them on anything other than smooth surfaces. For casual wear, I like that they give my feet freedom and some ability to do work.

Even though I'm the one who was touting my traditional (and heavy) Danner boots, I agree that if you're on modest terrain and lightly loaded, then a lighter weight option is probably the better way to go.

Can't wait to hear how you like the sleep system.

Grim said...

I have a new backpack coming, the Voodoo Tactical THOR. I'll let you know what I think of it once I've had a chance to use it. I've got a 5 day hike on the Appalachian Trail coming up next month.

Tom said...

Thanks, everyone! I'll post reviews, etc., as I use stuff & learn more.

Grim, I look forward to that review.

raven said...

Sounds like a cross cultural backpack!

Tom said...

Named by the diversity committee, perchance?