Mud life

This sounds like fun:
Mud bogging has been a popular activity for decades, especially in the South, but the mud world's musical tradition is recent, with live-music stages sprouting up in at least 162 off-road-vehicle parks over the past five years.  Fans typically pay about $40 a weekend to cook out with friends and play in the mud with a wide range of vehicles, from $100,000 trucks to homemade contraptions fashioned from tanks, lawn mowers, even king-size mattresses, all jacked up on giant tires forbidden on city streets.
Golf carts and "mules" are popular here.  If my neighbors got into the mud-bogging tradition I might be inspired to get a golf cart and trick it out with monster tires and woofers.

The hick-hop music doesn't do it for me, though.  Since I couldn't find a YouTube example that I liked enough to link here, I opted instead for the theme from "Justified," which apparently is called "ganstagrass":

 


5 comments:

Grim said...

I once took a Plymouth Sundance mud bogging. Well, not on purpose. The road ran out, and I could see where I wanted to go, but it was across a field of mud.

We got there. Quite a ride, though.

Grim said...

Actually, the sidebar to that article is really interesting. Some of those subgenres might be fun.

douglas said...

You would think that rap gone backwoods would mark the death of rap. If it succeeds in that, I could at least give it credit for that achievement.

Grim said...

Some of it's pretty good, from what I've heard this afternoon while chasing down Tex's alternative musics. Give it some credit.

douglas said...

The problem is, I don't see how you divorce it from it's roots, and I'd think you'd have issue with rap culture and it's view of women (as well as what a man should be). I don't see this changing that- just appropriating it to a different soundtrack. I used to think there was some good rap out there- the Tower by Ice-T is one that comes to mind, but I gave up a long time ago, because I felt that the whole culture attached to it couldn't be ignored nor appropriated to other, better uses. Add to that the really lousy craft of most rappers (in terms of poetic value), and I washed my hands of it a long time ago. I don't like seeing country start to absorb some of that culture. It's not a neutral base, it's a cancer.