A Medieval Movie Resource

If you're like me, you know someone who periodically shows up at your door and says, "Hey, let's see a movie."

"Great," you respond, "what did you want to see?"

"Oh, I don't know," she replies. (It may be a 'he' for some of you.) "Pick something and let me know." This turns the two-hour commitment for the movie into at least a three-hour commitment as you try to dig things up, only to have your first several choices shot down as unappealing.

One good resource might be this collection of movie reviews at Medievalists.net. Most of these are available online, which is the only way I usually see movies anymore, and the reviews are by people who are knowledgeable about the relevant history. I suspect that many of you, like me, find that to be an important quality in a movie.

Got any other good resources?

3 comments:

E Hines said...

I generally just surf the movie channels (I still have a TV) when I get sufficiently bored to watch a movie.

On the matter of choice with a visitor, you're quite a bit nicer than me. My conversation went like this, until I got married:

Me: "Here's my choice."

She: "I don't like that one."

Me: "Don't confuse this with a discussion. I asked what you wanted to see; you said I should choose. I've chosen."

Eric Hines

Grim said...

Yeah, well, I've been married for a long time now. :)

E Hines said...

As have I. That approach hasn't worked for some time.

On the other hand, when the lady did choose, or after I married, when my wife chooses, neither got argument from me. The value of the movie for me was the time with the lady.

There have been some movies that I really liked, but mostly they were just tools for getting time with her.

Eric Hines