Sexism?

Sexism?

We've heard that older feminists were angry about Senator Obama's pushing aside of Senator Clinton as presumptive favorite. Now, Slate says that younger feminists are feeling the same way.

And yet, as Lossia wrote in a recent e-mail, "I've been really bothered by what I perceive as sexism [among some male Obama supporters] and have spent hours defending [Clinton] ... A lot of guys just can't stand Hillary, and it's the intensity of their irritation with her that disturbs me more than their devotion to Obama."
I only mention the issue at all because I had a sergeant in Iraq say exactly this to me. I asked him what he was planning to do come election day, and he said, "I could vote for Obama or McCain [which is to say, given the distance between the men's positions, that the sergeant's decision is not at all based on policy or politics. -Grim]. But the thought of having to listen to that woman's voice for the next four years..."

Now, he's a good lad, and doesn't seem to have any problem with women in general -- neither does he treat them disrespectfully, nor show difficulty working with them, nor taking orders from them (his unit commander, in fact, is a female major). So I'm not sure sexism is really the issue here.

It may just really be her. And, er, that voice. And laugh. And the fact that she will look you in the eye and tell you she landed under fire in Bosnia without shame or apology.

Now, what is plainly sexism in the sergeant's comments was that he didn't say -- as did the "young progressive man" cited by the article -- that her voice made him want to punch her in the face. I suppose he might have said it about a man: like with most sergeants, I didn't get the sense that he was opposed to punching people under the right circumstances.

That sort of "sexism" is something I'd like to see more of in our society. Any young man who gloats about wanting to punch a lady in my company, whether Senator Clinton or any other, will not leave off thinking he was speaking well and cleverly.

I certainly believe that the sex of a person is a relevant factor in how you should treat them, or act around them, and that certain protections and courtesies should apply to women especially. I prefer the old fashioned term, chivalry, but if you insist on calling that sexism, so be it. I still believe it.

No comments: