HOWDY

HOWDY
The master of this great hall has graciously invited me to post my thoughts here. By way of introduction my name is Joel T. Leggett and I am an active duty captain in the Marine Corps. I began my career in the Corps as an enlisted cannoneer in the artillery. Currently, I am serving as a judge advocate at MCB Camp Pendleton. Politically I can best be described as an Andrew Jackson Democrat and/or a Ronald Reagan Republican. I am proudly of Scotch-Irish descent. Although I was born in Cobb County GA I consider Petal MS home.

Since this is a hall dedicated to the heroic life I will include my favorite excerpt from Thomas Macaulay’s Lays of Ancient Rome.

Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
``To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods,

No comments: